Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jamaican Jerk Seitan Burgers


Those of you who have been following this blog are probably aware by now that I love jerk seasoning and somewhat spicy dishes in general. So when I saw these on Joni’s blog back in December, they instantly went into my recipe program. I finally got around to making them today and they do not disappoint. However, if you are reading this Joni, I did “wimp out” on the jerk sauce. Instead of habaneras or jalapeños, I used about 1 Tbsp of my Tabasco Chipotle sauce. The only reason I ended up going that route is that I really did not want to deseed and devein all the peppers needed and I was also afraid that even with jalapeños it would be to hot for me. I was a bit short, about 1 Tbsp, on the allspice. For some reason, I just did not comprehend that it took ¼ of a cup; but I don’t think it hurt the flavor that much (that is an entire small container of the spice, in case you are wondering). And I had to use orange juice, since I had no pineapple juice around; but I don’t think that hurt them either. Unfortunately I was not able to take the suggestion of cooking them with a pineapple ring on top, but if you are going to eat them right away that would be a very good addition to make. Joni also has a relish that you can make as a topper, which if you like pomegranates would be a great way to go as well.

If you are thinking about making these, there are a few things you should know. First of all, the hamburger mix makes a lot; so have a big bowl to pour everything into for mixing it up. Second, Joni didn’t say how much to use for each patty. I used ½ a cup and that seems like the correct amount. You may want to use more or less, depending on how big you want your patties. And third, this definitely works best with a food processor. I used a Magic Bullet, but the hamburger mix would have been easier to make in a regular food processor.

On the side I have another dish from PDQ Vegetarian, Tropical Coleslaw. And if you think that coleslaw with oranges and pineapple would be way too sweet, this dish will be a pleasant surprise. Even though the dressing was a bit sweet by it self, it did not taste sweet at all in the final dish. I have a feeling this will be made a few times this summer.

P.S. This is one of the recipes that will be in Joni’s vegan hamburger book “Just the Burgers: 101 Homemade Veggie Burgers”. However, it has been delayed due to her collaboration with Celine (Have Cake, Will Travel) on the new book “500 Recipes”. Both are due out this year.

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! I bookmarked those eons ago but like most recipes I bookmark, I never seemed to get there. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to give them a try (sans chili for my wimpy self :P)

    ReplyDelete