Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dinner and Rice Milk Recipe


Dinner was really simple. Stir fried onion and pepper mix from the freezer, sliced seitan cutlets (done on Sunday) and some more of that Molo sauce I made in February. All very simple, just through in a pan and cook. Then put over rice. Instant dinner. Actually this is how I am used to cooking, since a day of work usually makes me to tired to really make anything at the end of the day.

However, I know why you are here tonight. You all want to see the recipe for rice milk. Since I aim to please, here it is. But I will caution you, this is still a bit untested. It might need more agave nectar to make it sweeter. And I have not tried this with a natural sugar or molasses. You can if you would like to, but I have no idea what the measurements would be. I am not making it as sweet as it could be, since I usually have chocolate milk or have it over a sweet cereal. If you want to make is sweeter, go right ahead. This is also a half a batch, so if you want to make more, it should double easily.

Bunny’s Rice Milk (based off of this recipe)

3 ¾ cup water
½ cup white rice flour (may also use brown rice flour)
½ cup almond flour (optional)
½ cup agave nectar (you can add up to a 1 cup if you want it sweeter)
1 Tbsp vanilla

Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan.

Add the vanilla and rice flour to 3/4 cup water, stirring thoroughly.

Once the water boils, stir in the rice flour mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Turn heat to medium-low and boil at least five minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick and no longer gritty.

Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the almond flour and agave nectar, till combined. Once mixture is cool, add it to your blender (or mix with your counter top mixer) and run till mixture is thoroughly combined and mixture appears to be smooth and semi-liquid. Place in covered container and refrigerate. Should be good for up to two weeks.

Yield: 5-6 cups? Base (I haven’t calculated total servings yet)

To make rice milk
8 oz
1/4 cup base and 3/4 cup water: blend till combined (I do in my Magic Bullet, but it may work to just stir it in)

16 oz
1/2 cup base and 1 1/2 cup water: blend till combined (I do in my Magic Bullet, but it may work to just stir it in)

It will separate in the refrigerator, but will remix quickly in the jar upon shaking.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll have to try it in the school holidays :D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this!
    I have tried the recipe, but omitted the almond flour. I also add 1 tbsp of tapioca flour to the rice flour mixture.
    Instead of 1/2 cup of agave nectar I added 2 heaped tbsp of honey and 1 tsp of molasses.
    I also added 2 tbsp of coconut oil (because I read somewhere it improved the taste).
    It turned out great! (Although my husband is still addicted to the Rice Dream milk...but this costs almost 4.00$/Litre to buy in Portugal!)
    This recipe is definitely a keeper, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kateboy, glad you like it. Sounds like you made some interesting changes. Might have to try the coconut oil myself sometime and maybe the molasses as well.

    Vegetation, hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete