Monday, February 2, 2009

Spaghetti Squash


Tonight was an experiment in new food, the spaghetti squash. I decided to try it after seeing them appear in a few blogs lately and just realized recently that these are actually somewhat available in my grocery store. Never had one before, since not the kind of food my mom would make. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn’t a big mess to make and actually quite easy, considering I started with a whole one. This would have been easier with a half of squash, but didn’t know that was available till today; so a whole one it was. I had no problems putting two holes in it with my big knife and just stuck in the oven, on a tray, for 1 hour at 375°. It cooled in the oven while making the rest of the dinner, breakfast potatoes and Harvard Beets. Once they were all reheating, I just cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and then the squash meat with a fork. Cooked it with some Smart Balance, minced garlic and some Mrs. Dash Southwest seasoning. And I must say, not to bad. Though I did not expect the strands of the squash to be crispy, it has a very nice neutral flavor. This is definitely going into the vegetable rotation. At least while I can find it.

Sorry the picture is so dark. I have overhead light where it was taken, but it is very dark outside due to weather today. So no extra light from outdoors. Guess I should have used a flash. Oh well, still learning how to take pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I miss spaghetti squash so much! They stopped selling it in Australia (from what I can gather from a bunch of local greengrocers) around the 1980's which is probably the last time I had it.

    Enjoy plenty of it for me!

    ReplyDelete