Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Road’s End Shells & Chreese



Well last night has come and gone. Where I live we didn’t get a hard freeze or a freeze at all, thank goodness since it did rain. However, inland it got as low as the high 30s and it was in the 50s all day. So not your expected sunny and warm Florida (Vegatation and Mandee if you want to get away from the heat in Australia, this is the time to come to Florida). A perfect day for Mac & Cheese, or in this case Road’s End Shells & Chreese; with some broccoli and cauliflower.

I actually have had this for a few months, just haven’t got around to eating it yet. For those of us who can’t eat soy, gluten or nuts, this chreese mix is a godsend, since it contains none of these and is manufactured in a soy, gluten and nut free facility. And the best thing is that it tastes like cheese, or at least a very good approximation. It is also exceedingly easy to make and only takes about 15 minutes once, the water is boiling for the pasta (boxes with gluten free pasta are also available). Now mine looks green, since I added some broccoli and cauliflower to the pasta when cooking. I didn’t plan on them falling apart when mixing in the chreese sauce, but that didn’t seem to affect the flavor. And if someone wanted to sneak some cauliflower into a picky eater, this would be a good way to do so.

Road’s End also has gravy mixes, the chreese mixes by themselves (single packet and in bulk) and also nacho chreese in jars (ready for use, but dang expensive). I have yet to dislike anything from them that I have tried (so far two gravy mixes and the Shells & Chreese). I just wish the chreese mixes were available locally. But if I have to, at some point in the future I will order the chreese mixes in bulk.

Now if you would like to try this, but can’t find it locally or are spending to much money on it already, there is a cloned recipe for this over at Fat Free Vegan. Apparently Susan V’s daughter is quite addicted to this and she was tired of having to mail order it. I tried it in my pregan days (when looking at going vegetarian) and to my surprise, liked it. This was one of the things that convinced me that I could eat this way, even without soy.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, looks good. And as someone who can't get it here ~ thanks for the recipe link!

    ReplyDelete