Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Baked Seitan Cutlets



Again, a real simple dinner. I made some seitan this afternoon and cut one of the steaks in half vertically, cut the ½ cutlet in half horizontally to make two cutlets. The cutlets got coated in an “egg wash” of chickpea flour and water, then coated in panko bread crumbs mixed with some Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Place in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes and done.

The kale was just as simple. I just stripped the leaves off of about 3-4 stalks, rinsed them, cut them up into strips and put them in a hot fry pan. Once they started to cook a bit, I added some orange juice and tamari and cooked them all down. The kale got done before the sauce got glazy, so the kale went on the plate while the orange juice and tamari mixture cooked down. Once it cooked down to a syrup, the pan came off the heat and the kale were added back to get glazed. Then back on the plate.

This all took 15-20 minutes of prep and another 15-20 minutes of cooking. It all went together nicely at the end. A lot of strong flavors, but they did balance each other out. The Dijon Beets were a great side for this, since they were cold and helped to cool my mouth a bit. Also Florida has started to warm up again, so I really don’t want to eat any more warm food than needed.

And for those of you looking for something different to spread on toast and other things, I have an interesting recipe for you, Coconut and Cashew Bread Paste. I have made this three times and love it. The spread definitely makes your toast a bit more substantial and it is great on English muffins also. Unfortunately, I am not going to make it again until I get a food processor. This just doesn’t work in a Magic Bullet. However, for those of you with food processors and decent blenders, you might want to try it.

As an update on the rice milk. I tried some today and while it is different, it isn’t to bad. However, the almond flour will have to go in the next batch, since it never seems to get properly mixed into the “milk”. I might also have to add a bit oil, just to make it homogenize a bit more. So still work in progress, but quite close.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm I love the baked seitan! And yay for oven baking (as you can tell, I'm a lazy cook as often as I can be ;)).

    Glad to hear the rice milk is coming along! I just made almond milk, but it works out so expensive it's not really something I make very often.

    ReplyDelete