Friday, December 19, 2008

Beck’s BBQ Pulled Pork Seitan

First, sorry for no post yesterday. I ended up not cooking dinner since was dealing with some nausea issues. It happens to me from time to time and is worse in the afternoon and evening. The only way to deal with it is to lay down, so that is what I did most of last evening. It is either due to hormones or allergies, but I haven’t figured out what has caused this current bout. It comes and goes, so hopefully it will leave soon.

And on to dinner tonight. We had what was planned for last night, Beck’s BBQ Pulled Pork Seitan. And Becks you have nothing to worry about. It received a “most acceptable” from the TeddyBear, which is about as good as it gets from him. Or to put it another way “He likes it!” I did, however, find that the BBQ sauce got rather thick from sitting in the refrigerator, since I made it early. It had to get hot to properly coat the torn seitan pieces, but after it was, the seitan was easily coated. The seitan was a bit hard to tear (shred), but that was because it had sat in the refrigerator for a day. If you make this in one day, like Becks did, then it will go together easier. Oh, and Becks, I had no problem with the sauce getting thick. It actually got very syrupy while I was cooking it down. However, that could have been because I used orange juice, since that was the only juice easily found. I used the potato rolls from Wal-Mart for my sandwiches (which are still vegan), but the TeddyBear used regular sliced bread. For side dishes we had vegetarian (which are vegan) baked beans from Bush’s Baked Beans and Fingerling Fries from “Vegan Express” by Nava Atlas.

The Fingerling Fries are kind of interesting and really easy. All they are is fingerling potatoes cut in half and then fried in a pan and sprinkled with smoked paprika. The book they are from “Vegan Express” is basically vegan dishes that can be turned into a meal in 30-45 minutes. She has meal plans, interesting tidbits of information and a some no recipe required things. If you are looking for a cookbook of quick and easy to prepare vegan dishes, this is for you. And since it is available as an eBook, you can get it right way, even if you can’t find it locally.

That is all for this week. I am still working on the list of soy protein free vegan products and also a seitan recipe for you. Unfortunately, my tendonitis has also flared up, so that is slowing me down. It looks like next week will be mostly leftovers, so I may hold off till then. Other than these, I may not post at all next week. Have a good weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Feel better soon! I made pulled pork from jackfruit once but it was really soft in texture (although yummy). I'll definitely have to try it with the seitan!

    I made some chickpea tofu yesterday (thankfully this one set up nicely). Thanks for the destructions (:P Sorry, have always called them that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm really pleased TeddyBear liked it! >:o) Sorry for being so paranoid (I've never released a recipe into the wild before!).
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Happy Holidays to you both x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetation, my mom calls them "destructions" to, so I am used to it. I'm feeling better, so it seems to have passed for the moment. Glad the chick-fu worked for you this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becks, I figured he would, since we both like BBQ and you have a great sounding recipe. He even likes it better than most things I make. I'm feeling better, so this seems to have passed, for the moment.

    Happy Holidays to you and T.V. as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there! I would love to have that pulled pork recipe!

    PamelaCooks
    aka Pamela on PPK. You can PM me there, or comment on any post, if you'd like to share it. I am trying to make some pork enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete