Thursday, August 6, 2009

Two Product Reviews

No pictures of food today, but I did want to let you all know about some fairly new vegan soy free products that have hit the shelves in the last few months.

The first is Soy Free Earth Balance, which I have finally been able to try, even though it hit the shelves in June. After eating it a few times on rolls and using it in a grilled "cheese" sandwich, all I can say is "Wow". This is as good as any margarine I have used and has no aftertaste, at least for me. It melts well, and is somewhat soft even right out of the refrigerator. I haven't tried cooking with it yet, but don't see that as a problem. The people at Earth Balance made it soy-free by not using any soybean oil, replacing the soy protein with pea protein and using sunflower seed lechitan. And they made the container red along with Soy Free on the label, so that you cannot miss it in the dairy section. For those of you that are soy allergic, this margarine is obviously a godsend, since it has no soy products in it at all. I found the price to be in line with the other Earth Balance products where I got it, but this will run you about 4-5 dollars for a 15 oz tub.



The other newer product is from Amy's and it is a soy free Chocolate Cake. (Picture borrowed from Amys website, forget to get one of the box.) I got one this past week, simply because I was tired of making my own dessert all the time. I would say that this cake is easily as good as or better than one could make at home. It is moist, and really tastes like chocolate. The best thing is that is requires no work to make. All you have to do is take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator about 2.5 hours before you want to eat it. Then just slice and eat. You could take it out of the packaging, take it to work, feed it to your colleagues and they would never realize that it was not only soy free but vegan. The TeddyBear tried some and pronounced it most acceptable, which for him means that he likes it. And if he likes it, it has to be good (he's a picky eater),

So if these are not in your stores yet, just annoy management till they get them in. And better yet, get as many people as possible to annoy the store as well. In some places they will not stock soy free products because they have the idea that there is no market demand for them. Why don't you show them that they are wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very jealous of soy free earth balance. We don't even get the regular one here :( And sadly we won't be getting that cake either. I think the only Amy's products we have are limited soup varieties. I really want some though! Yum!

    ReplyDelete